All about the stream: What is Management and Business Administration?
Business management and administration deal with various ways to manage and administer a business. It teaches students how to plan, supervise, execute and analyse business activities. Students of this discipline not only learn how to establish a business but also learn functional-level activities such as sales and marketing, production, finance, and HR activities.
Students of Management and Business Administration pursue jobs in education, sales, government, finance, marketing, etc. Some even become CEOs and CFOs at the company they are working at or launch their own. Most of the career prospects after pursuing a degree in Business Administration and Management are high paying and offer job satisfaction.
Degrees Offered for Management and Business Administration
Here is a list of degrees offered by Management and Business Administration:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Bachelor of Business Management (BBM)
- Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS)
- Executive MBA
- Distance MBA
- Integrated MBA
- Part-time/Online MBA
- Management Development Programmes (MDP)
- Fellow Program in Management (FPM)
Specialisations offered in the field of Management and Business Administration
Some of the top specialisations in this field are as follows:
Marketing & Sales
This course builds a student’s awareness around the concept of a brand and methods to generate value and obtain profits from the market.
BBA LLB is by far one of the most popular courses in this field. This course is well-suited for legal enthusiasts out there who wish to pursue a legal career in business.
This course teaches the student how to manage funds. Students learn how finance affects the well-being of an organisation.
Banking and Insurance
This course will cover important banking operations, risk evaluation, and business and financial management.
Students are taught the art of marketing organisational products in a digital space, on the internet.
Hospitality and Tourism
The students are taught management, accounting, sales, marketing, and all other business acumens they’ll be needing in the field of hospitality and tourism.
An Information and Technology specialisation teaches the student to optimise business performance by streamlining the communication process online to the effect of customer satisfaction.
This course teaches students entrepreneurial skills that they might need to establish their businesses or contribute to someone else’s.
This specialisation teaches students how to manage businesses that expand across global borders. The nature of goods here has a global audience and students learning this discipline need to understand how to cater to them keeping their global diaspora in mind.
Students of this course are taught how public policies or legal systems that need to be observed for a business to operate.
Healthcare and Hospital
This course teaches students how to manage and administer public healthcare systems in a hospital.
Some other specialisations that one can opt for are:
- Family Business
- Organisational Management
- Foreign Trade
- Energy and Environment
- Operations and Systems
- Business Analytics
- Business Economics
- Materials Management
- NGO Management
- Product Management
- Supply Chain
- Transport and Logistics
- Textile Management
- Sports Management
- Rural Management
- Oil and Gas
- Advertising and Food Business
- Import and Export
- Disaster Management
Top 50 Business Administration and Management Institutes:
- Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode
- Indian Institute of Management Lucknow
- Indian Institute of Management Indore
- XLRI - Xavier School of Management, Jamshedpur
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Management Development Institute, Gurugram
- Indian Institute of Management Raipur
- Indian Institute of Management Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Management Rohtak
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune
- Indian Institute of Management Tiruchirappalli
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- S. P. Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Management Udaipur
- Indian Institute of Management Kashipur
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi
- SVKM`s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Management Shillong
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore
- Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- International Management Institute, New Delhi
- Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
- ICFAI Foundation for Higher Education, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Management Visakhapatnam
- Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
- XIM University, Bhubaneswar
- GOA Institute of Management, Sanquelim
- Indian Institute of Management Jammu (IIMJ), Jammu
- T. A. Pai Management Institute Manipal
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli
- Chandigarh University, Mohali
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies Dehradun
- MICA Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management, Nagpur
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines), Dhanbad
- Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation University (K L College of Engineering), Vaddeswaram
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Bhubaneswar
- Anna University, Chennai
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Eligibility Criteria for studying Management and Business Administration
- Students applying for the course must have 50-60% marks in their +2. This requirement varies from college to college.
- The age limit is capped at 22 years for general candidates and 24 years for special candidates at some universities.
- Some universities conduct entrances that students are expected to crack if they wish to pursue the course from those universities.
- If the student gets shortlisted from the aforementioned entrance exam, they have to clear a personal interview round. This additional requirement also varies from one university to the other.
- Candidate must hold a bachelor's degree in any or equivalent discipline.
- The candidate is expected to have 50% of their bachelor’s degree.
- Some universities expect the candidate to have appeared for exams like CAT, CMAT, MAT, etc. The candidate is then evaluated based on their results in the exam mentioned above.
- Some other universities offer direct admissions.
Entrance Tests for Management and Business Administration
Here is a list of some popular entrance tests that one takes to pursue this course:
- Common Admission Test (CAT)
- Management Aptitude Test (MAT)
- Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET)
- Symbiosis National Aptitude Test (SNAP)
- Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT)
Aptitude required for studying Management and Business Administration
Students of Management and Business Administration are expected to possess or develop the following skillsets:
- Students are expected to possess financial management skills.
- They must be able to articulate themselves well to communicate. As communication is important to get any work done.
- Leadership skills in a candidate are preferred. This will help them to lead their colleagues and attain success.
- Planning and Project Management skills are given due importance. Candidates are expected to manage time and other resources well while executing a project.
Course Fees for Management and Business Administration students
An undergraduate course in media communications at a private university is expected to be anywhere between 1.40K - 22.94L. However, the same course from a government university is expected to be somewhere between 2.43K-1.72L.
A postgraduate course in media communications from a private university is expected to be anywhere between 10.00K - 12.00L. However, the same course from a government university is expected to be somewhere between 3.63K-12.00L.
Doctoral courses in media communications from a private university are expected to be between 30.00K-8.70L. However, a doctoral course from a government university can cost the candidate approximately 2.02L.
Please note that all the numbers mentioned above are estimates and that the course fee differs from university to university.
Scholarships for studying Management and Business Administration
Here are a few scholarships that Indian students can opt for in the field of media studies:
- Aditya Birla Group Scholarship
- IMT EWS Scholarships
- OP Jindal Engineering and Management Scholarships (OPJEMS)
- IIM Ahmedabad MBA Scholarships
- IIM Bangalore MBA Scholarships
- IIM Lucknow MBA Scholarship
- IIM Indore MBA Scholarships
Internship opportunities for Management and Business Administration students
Some Institutions offering these courses have placement officials that provide internship requirements to students in need of one.
Listed below are some fields that business students can opt for while looking for internship opportunities:
- Product marketing internship
- Sales and marketing internship
- Business management internship
- Business consulting internship
- Management consulting internship
- Business development internship
Study Abroad Opportunities
Here are some selected universities that offer business study courses abroad:
- University of Newcastle College of International Education, Australia.
- Arizona State University, US.
- University of West London, UK.
- University of Warwick, UK.
- Simmons University, US.
Career Prospects/Placements for Management and Business Administration students
Mentioned below are some job profiles that students of media relations get placed in:
- Business Administrator
- Finance Manager
- Accounting Head
- Management Consultant
- Business Analyst
- Management Trainee
- Marketing Executive
- Sales Representative
- Assistant Manager
- Financial Analyst
Salary for Management and Business Administration students
The approximate starting salary of a business professional is between 1.00LPA-10.00LPA.
Subjects similar to Management and Business Administration
Candidates looking for similar subjects to business could opt for Commerce, Accounting, Finance, Banking, etc.
Can students from the Arts stream pursue a Business Management Degree?
Yes, students from all streams can pursue a Business Management Degree both at an undergraduate and postgraduate level.
What are the best institutes for business in India?
- IIM Ahmedabad
- IIM Bangalore
- IIM Calcutta
- IIM Kozhikode
What are the top recruiting companies for business administration professionals?
- JP Morgan
- ICICI Bank
- Morgan Stanley
- Tata Consultancy Services