Monday, 30th October 2017

E- paper

14-year-old visitor to Calcutta dies of dengue

Nurul Hasan’s death has taken the dengue toll to five in the Calcutta municipal area since January

  • Published 11.10.19, 1:44 AM
  • Updated 11.10.19, 1:44 AM
  • a min read
  •  
An official of Belle Vue Clinic said Nurul Hasan tested positive for Immunoglobulin M (IgM), which is an antibody test for dengue Shutterstock

A 14-year-old boy, who was visiting a relative on Elliot Road, died of dengue at a city hospital on Thursday morning.

An official of Belle Vue Clinic said Nurul Hasan tested positive for Immunoglobulin M (IgM), which is an antibody test for dengue.

Hasan’s death has taken the dengue toll to five in the Calcutta municipal area since January. The death certificate mentioned that Hasan died because of dengue shock syndrome. Sources in the Calcutta Municipal Corporation said about 1,400 people had been infected with the dengue virus in the city since January.

“Five people have died in the city so far. The death certificate (of Hasan) mentioned dengue shock syndrome,” said a CMC official.

The hospital official said Hasan was admitted to the facility on Wednesday. “He had suffered haemorrhagic shock and was bleeding. He came in a critical condition,” the official said. “He is not a resident of Calcutta. He was visiting a relative.”

Entomologists have warned against storing water in any container for more than seven days. “The Aedes aegypti mosquito, which spreads the virus, takes only seven days to become an adult from a larvae,” said an entomologist.