
Sambalpur, April 16: The dawn-to-dusk shutdown called by the BJP to protest against the arrest of former Sambalpur MLA Jaynarayan Mishra affected life in the city today.
Yesterday, police arrested Mishra for allegedly violating the prohibitory order and brandishing a sword during the Hanuman Jayanti procession. He was remanded to judicial custody after his bail plea was rejected.
All the markets, financial institutions, schools, courts, educational institutions, commercial establishments, state and central government offices remained closed today. The public transport was also badly hit due to the strike. Buses were out of the road and only autorickshaws and bikes were seen moving in the city. The BJP workers picketed at several places.
Supporters of the strike had also stopped the movement of the Sambalpur-Puri Intercity Express for nearly 40 minutes and the Sambalpur-Rayagada Express for around 25 minutes at Khetrajpur railway station in the morning.
The BJP workers also blocked roads at several places. Ainthapali, Church Chhak and Dhanupali were badly affected. The shutdown also hit Hirakud and Burla. Besides, its effect was also felt in Kuchinda.
Several people, who were unaware about the agitation, had to face inconvenience because of the sudden strike call.
Mantu Mohaty, who hails from Kuchinda, reached Sambalpur by a private bus from Bhubaneswar in the morning. However, he did not get a bus to go to Kuchinda from Sambalpur. "I was not aware about the strike. I came to know about the bandh after arriving here. I will have to wait here till the evening to get a bus to Kuchinda," said Mantu.
BJP district president Nauri Nayak said: "The bandh was spontaneous. People from all sections of the society supported the strike. The support of the people indicates that the district administration and the police have done a grave injustice by arresting Jaynarayan Mishra."
Adequate police arrangement was also made for the strike. Police sources said 15 platoons as well as 64 inspectors had been deployed all across the city to prevent any untoward incidents. Sub-divisional police officer Utkala Keshari Dash said: "No untoward incidents have been reported."