The long-awaited successor to Windows 10 will arrive on October 5. Microsoft Windows 11 will be available as a free upgrade for eligible Windows 10 PCs, or on new hardware that ships with Windows 11 pre-loaded. But don’t expect your Windows PC to get the update immediately because it will roll out in phases. don’t expect your Windows PC to get the update immediately because it will roll out in phases. Here are a few features we are looking forward to in Windows 11.
1. The layout is getting a makeover and not only is the Start menu and taskbar moving to the centre of the screen, there are plenty of design changes, some of them being Snap Layouts, Snap Groups and Desktops. By hovering the mouse cursor over the minimize-maximise or resize button, the OS will show you a template suggesting different layouts for various windows that are open.
2. Android apps are coming to Windows 11 but there are a couple of disclaimers. First, it is installable from within the new Microsoft Store via the Amazon Appstore. Second, don’t expect all Android apps to be available.
3. Widgets, a new personalised feed powered by AI, will offer a quicker way to access information you want.
4. Microsoft Teams is being integrated into the taskbar to offer a faster way to connect to the people you care about. At the same time, one wonders what happens to Skype which Microsoft acquired for $8.5 billion in 2011.
5. The Microsoft Store is getting a much-needed makeover.
6. With Windows 11, you will be able to unlock the full potential of your system’s hardware with technology, like DirectX12 Ultimate, DirectStorage and Auto HDR. With Xbox Game Pass for PC or Ultimate you get access to over 100 high-quality PC games to play on Windows 11 for one low monthly price. (Xbox Game Pass sold separately.)
7. The company is going to offer a redesigned Paint app, which will even include a dark mode.
• The company will support Windows 10 until October 14, 2025.
• You can install Windows 11 on any hardware using an ISO method, as long as the PC has a 64-bit 1GHz processor with two or more cores, 4GB of RAM, 64GB of storage, and a TPM 1.2 chip. There is also a workaround.