Monday, 30th October 2017

E- paper

House with fuel stock in flames

A leakage in an LPG gas cylinder was the reason behind the fire

By Our Correspondent in Ranchi
  • Published 29.03.19, 12:28 AM
  • Updated 29.03.19, 12:28 AM
  • a min read
Smoke billows out of the house at Chanho near Ranchi on Thursday. Telegraph picture

Household items were reduced to ashes after a fire broke out inside a house, having stocks of diesel and kerosene oil, at Chatwal village, about 40km from the capital, under Chanho thana area on Thursday.

A leakage in an LPG gas cylinder was the reason behind the fire.

The house belonged to grocery shop owner Mohammed Khalil who lived with his wife and son. On sensing a burning smell, all three of them rushed out of the house. Besides, drums of “illegally stored” kerosene oil and diesel further worsened the impact.

According to a local resident, fire started spreading around 9.30am on Thursday and it took over three hours to douse the flames. “Fire started spreading rapidly across the entire house spread across 2,000sqft area. The situation became so critical that residents of nearby villages rushed out of their houses,” he said.

Asked about the drums of kerosene oil and diesel, the resident said, “Mohammed Khalil runs a grocery shop where he also sells kerosene oil and diesel. He had stored additional 2,000 litres of diesel and kerosene oil inside the house as a back-up.”

Chanho thana officer-in-charge Rajendra Rajak said no one was injured in the fire. “Before the fire brigade could reach the spot, police with the help of local residents doused the flames. Contractors engaged in road construction work provided their tankers to spray water. We are yet to ascertain the exact amount of loss,” Rajak said.