The blockbuster IPL opener, featuring defending champions Mumbai Indians and last year’s runners-up Chennai Super Kings, looks set to take place in Dubai on September 19 unless anyone reports positive in the second round of additional tests that Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s men went through on Thursday.
The much-awaited fixtures for the 13th edition have been held back because of this Standard Operating Procedure and is likely to be announced by Saturday. The results of the Covid-19 tests, which were held in Dubai on Thursday, are expected on Friday.
The players will start their training once the results are available.
Thursday’s tests involved members of the CSK contingent who reported negative in the first round of two additional tests on Tuesday.
A total of 13 members of the contingent, including two players, had reported positive during the mandatory three tests that everyone had to undergo on landing in the UAE. The tests were held on the first, third and sixth days of their quarantine period.
The ones who had tested positive last week are staying in a separate hotel and will have to undergo two fresh tests after their two-week quarantine.
There were doubts over the traditional IPL opener this time but sources have told The Telegraph that the marquee clash is “very much on” after CSK informed the governing council that they were “game” with playing the match.
Sources also said that the tournament will be held across three venues in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah and all 60 matches will be held.
It has also been learnt that BCCI president Sourav Ganguly will be in Dubai on Tuesday to personally look after the nitty-gritties.
Virat Kohli cools off after a practice session on Thursday. “Proper session + proper humidity + great recovery+ :)” tweeted the RCB captain Twitter/@imVkohli