Burdwan hospital to relook at fire arrangement system
The Burdwan Medical College and Hospital (BMCH) authorities have decided to revisit its fire arrangement system and electric wires passing through old buildings, and increase surveillance to stop its staff, patients or their relatives from carrying inflammable articles after the hospital fire on Saturday morning that claimed a Covid patient.
“The hospital management will sit for a meeting on Monday to revisit the fire arrangement system and check the condition of electric wires in hospital buildings. The measures have been taken to avoid such incidents. We will increase surveillance in each ward to monitor anyone carrying inflammable items inside the hospital,” said Tapas Ghosh, the medical superintendent and vice-principal of BMCH.
According to preliminary probe, fire brigade officials suspect inflammable objects like mosquito repellents behind the fire. The hospital authorities have directed security persons to check all patients and alert them not to carry such items inside wards.
“All security persons have started to alert patients and carry out checks on them from Sunday. However it is very tough to check everyone so we will also launch an awareness drive on hospital premises,” said a senior BMCH official.
“The actual reason for the fire is yet to be known and it would take time. So, we are taking all precautionary measures,” said a senior official at BMCH.
On Sunday, a team from Burdwan police station went to the hospital to investigate the fire.
“We have recorded statements of eyewitnesses of the fire. A forensic team will visit the hospital to find out the source of fire. CCTV footage of the Covid ward has been preserved and be thoroughly monitored,” said a police officer in East Burdwan.
Sources said the hospital has at least three old buildings including the Radharani ward dedicated for Covid patients.
The condition of electric wires should be checked immediately to prevent such accidents, an official said.
Sandhya Mondal, 60, a Covid patient from Galsi, died of burns in the fire that broke out at the Burdwan hospital’s Covid ward on Saturday. Three other Covid patients were shifted to safety by hospital staff, averting a bigger tragedy.
Mondal’s family members and Opposition parties have sought compensation for the next to kin of the patient.
“We have asked for all papers and related documents from the BMCH authorities. We would send those to the state and compensation would be given to the patient’s family if there is any provision,” said Priyanka Singla, the East Burdwan district magistrate.
In its report to the state health department, BMCH authorities said the fire spread because of high-flow oxygen supply in the ward and the hospital averted a larger incident as the fire was immediately put out by its staff.