Spain’s World Cup winning-squad agreed to end their boycott of the national team early on Wednesday after the country’s football federation (RFEF) said it would make “immediate and profound changes” to its structure.
The decision was reached around 5am (8.30am IST) after more than seven hours of meetings at a hotel in Oliva, an hour from Valencia, involving the players, RFEF officials, the National Sports Council (CSD) and the women’s players’ union FUTPRO.
The players had said they would not represent Spain until there were further changes at the federation, deepening a crisis that started after former boss Luis Rubiales kissed Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the World Cup presentation ceremony last month.
“A joint commission will be created between RFEF, CSD and players to follow up on the agreements, which will be signed tomorrow,” CSD president Victor Francos told reporters. “The players have expressed their concern about the need for profound changes in the RFEF, which has committed to making these changes immediately.”
Neither Francos nor Rafael del Amo, president of the RFEF committee for women’s football, would elaborate on the changes, saying they would be announced “soon”.
After most of the Women’s World Cup winners were selected for upcoming games, the players said in a joint statement they would take the “best decision” for their future and health after they studied the legal implications of being included in a squad list they had asked to be left out.
They argued the federation cannot require their presence because they alleged the call-up was not issued within Fifa’s parameters in terms of timings and procedure.
Spain are set to make their debut in the Women’s Nations League against Sweden in Gothenburg on Friday before playing against Switzerland in Cordoba next Tuesday.