Manchester United have signed midfielder Mason Mount from Chelsea on a five-year contract with an option for a further 12 months, the Premier League side announced on Wednesday.
The 24-year-old England player, who came through Chelsea's academy and had a year left on his deal, has been signed by United for £55 million ($69.88 million) plus £5 million in add-ons, according to reports in British media.
"It's never easy leaving the club where you grew up, but Manchester United will provide an exciting new challenge for the next phase of my career," Mount, who will be wearing United's famous No. 7 shirt, said in a statement.
"Having competed against them, I know just how strong a squad it is that I'm joining, and I can't wait to be part of this group's drive to win major trophies.
"Everyone can see that the club has made big steps forward under Erik ten Hag. Having met with the manager and discussed his plans, I couldn't be more excited for the seasons ahead, and am ready for the hard work expected here."
Mount made his debut in 2017, scoring 33 goals and registering 37 assists in 194 appearances in all competitions at Stamford Bridge while helping Chelsea clinch the Champions League, Super Cup and Club World Cup titles.
"I am hugely ambitious; I know how amazing it feels to win major trophies and what it takes to do it. I will be giving everything to experience that again at Manchester United," Mount added.
He would be Erik ten Hag's first signing of the close season as the Dutch manager seeks to strengthen his squad before United's return to the Champions League.
"Mason is an extremely intelligent footballer and has so many fantastic technical qualities that will significantly add to our squad," United football director John Murtough said.
Arsenal have reached an agreement to sign West Ham United midfielder Declan Rice in a deal worth over £100 million ($127 million), British media reported.
The 24-year-old England international had received permission to undergo a medical this week ahead of his move across London, The Guardian said.
The report added that West Ham had accepted an offer worth £100 million plus £5 million in add-ons, with the guaranteed portion of the fee expected to be paid in three installments over two years.
Barca bolster backline
Barcelona: FC Barcelona have signed centre back Inigo Martinez from Athletic Bilbao on a free transfer with the Spain international signing a two-year contract, the La Liga champions said on Wednesday.
Martinez leaves Bilbao after six seasons with the Basque club and Barcelona said they will set a $435.68 million release clause for the 32-year-old.
Martinez arrives with rich experience in La Liga having made more than 350 appearances in the Spanish top flight with Athletic as well as Real Sociedad.
“Being strong in the air, a great ball carrier and defensively solid will improve Barca’s backline even further, which will also have a left-footed player to call on,” the club said in a statement.
“A veteran of many battles, Inigo Martinez is also known for his leadership and competitive nature,” the statement added.
Barcelona have been looking for experience to fill holes in their back line following the departure of veteran defender Jordi Alba while Samuel Umtiti’s contract was terminated last week.