A four-year-old was burnt alive in a blaze in a flat at Ambikapatty here on Saturday.
Rajdeep Nath was the son of Ramendu Nath, a businessman, and Sarbani Nath, who works as an engineer with the water resources department here.
According to sources, local residents saw flames and smoke billowing out from the fourth floor of Dinesh Enclave on Narsing Road (East) around 1.15pm. The incident was immediately reported to the fire brigade department.
Firefighters reached the spot soon, but the child died of suffocation before the flames were doused.
Rajdeep’s parents were not at home when the fire broke out. The child’s body was sent to the Silchar Medical College and Hospital (SMCH) for post-mortem by a team of cops.
A woman who worked as Rajdeep’s nanny sustained critical burn injuries and was admitted to SMCH, sources said.
Cachar deputy commissioner Barnali Sharma visited the spot after coming to know about the incident.
She said a magisterial probe would be conducted to ascertain if the building (in which the blaze broke out) has all the necessary fire-safety tools.
The exact reason for the fire is being investigated.