MY KOLKATA EDUGRAPH
ADVERTISEMENT
Regular-article-logo Saturday, 30 August 2025

Foreign hand scent in blast

Read more below

OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT Published 26.07.07, 12:00 AM

Calcutta, July 26: Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee today said he suspected a “foreign hand” in last year’s blast at Belakoba station near Siliguri that claimed seven lives.

“The explosive and devices used point to the role of outsiders,’’ the chief minister said.

He did not spell out the name of any country.

Replying to a question on America’s role in promoting terror in the east, he said: “The US has played a role in promoting global terrorism. There is no specific information to prove US involvement in stoking terrorist and secessionist activities in this part of the country. But we can’t rule out its role in terror campaigns in the subcontinent.’’

Although the chief minister is keen to attract US investments to the state, his statement today is in sync with the public stand of his party, which will hold a mahamichhil in the city on September 1 to observe “anti-imperialist day”.

On the Belakoba blast and violence in north Bengal, the chief minister said he was worried about the regrouping of the Kamtapur Liberation Organisation with the help of Assam’s Ulfa.

“We are certain that socio-economic grievances are not the only reason for the secessionist movements,” he said.

A National Democratic Front of Boroland leader had earlier been picked up from his Guwahati home for his suspected role in the train blast.

Follow us on:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT