Suicide at home, mystery in river

Read more below

  • Published 4.02.14

A 24-year-old homemaker hanged herself from a ceiling fan in Telco, while the body of a middle-aged woman was recovered from Kharkai near Kadma, both on Monday morning.

Mother of a three-year-old girl, Rajeshwari Gondia, a resident of Kartik Nagar in Telco police station area, was found hanging in a room adjacent to her bedroom around 6.30am by her husband Ravi Shankar.

The young woman had made a noose from her dupatta.

After realising Rajeshwari was not in their bedroom, Ravi Shankar started looking for her. When he discovered the adjacent room bolted from inside, Ravi knocked on the door, but did not get any response. He then pushed the door till its bolt got unlatched on its own.

The husband and his 70-year-old mother first thought of rushing Rajeshwari to a hospital, but decided against it once they realised that she was dead. Then, they informed Telco police.

The police team arrived at 9am and sent the body to MGM Medical College and Hospital for post-mortem.

Relatives said Rajeshwari was mentally unwell and had been undergoing treatment.

Rajeshwari, whose parents had died when she was a child, had been brought up by her paternal aunt Radha Gondia. The lady, who stays at Kharangajhar area in Telco and often visited Rajeshwari to enquire about her health, said on Monday that her niece was suffering from acute depression for a long time.

Telco police station officer-in-charge (OC) Kamleswar Pandey confirmed suicide. “We have sent the body to the MGM Medical College and Hospital for post-mortem,” said Pandey, adding that they registered a case of unnatural death based on the aunt’s statement.

In another incident, the sari-clad body of a 45-year-old woman was found floating in Kharkai river near Green Park area in Kadma police station area on Monday morning.

The body was fished out and sent to MGM Medical College and Hospital for autopsy. The woman’s identity, however, is yet to be ascertained.

According to local resident Alok Prasad, a group of women had gone to bathe when they spotted the floating body. “We called the police after the women informed us. From her clothes and gold earrings, the woman seemed to be from a well-to-do family,” Prasad said.

Kadma police station OC Indu Bhusan Kumar said prima facie it seemed to be a drowning death.

“After the post-mortem, we will keep the body at the morgue for the next 72 hours for identification. If no one turns up, we will get the body disposed of on our own,” the Kadma OC added.