East Bengal officials reach out to disgruntled players
East Bengal officials, after the club was hit by the second transfer ban in as many seasons, reached out to seven players whose salaries were not cleared by the SC East Bengal management.
Cavin Lobo, Keegan Perreira, Rino Anto, CK Vineeth, Girik Khosla, Eugeneson Lyngdoh and Anil Chavan had moved the players status committee (PSC) after contract disputes arose between the SC East Bengal management and the players.
“Until the dues are cleared, SC East Bengal, the registered club, will not be able to sign any player for the new season,” a source said. SC East Bengal needed to pay up within the 45-day window given by the PSC on February 9.
East Bengal’s investor, Shree Cement, which is on the verge of severing ties with the club after two crisis-riddled seasons, had already said it would not clear the dues since those seven players were roped in before Shree Cement came on board in September 2020.
If the club now has to pay the amount in full, it would have to shell out around Rs 1.42 crore. According to the PSC verdict, Lobo should get Rs 41 lakh, Anto Rs 26 lakh, Vineeth and Lyngdoh Rs 21 lakh each, Pereira Rs 16.80 lakh, Chavan Rs 10.28 lakh and Khosla Rs 6.30 lakh.
“Yes, aggrieved footballers have been contacted by the club officials. I think they would be offered an amount much less than they are supposed to get. The players should do hard bargaining otherwise they will be taken for a ride once again,” a source said.