Three more Formula One races postponed due to coronavirus outbreak
A joint statement by F1 and governing FIA said they expected the season to start 'as soon as it is safe to do so after May'
- Published 20.03.20, 3:17 AM
- Updated 20.03.20, 7:48 PM
- 2 mins read
Formula One postponed its May showcase Monaco Grand Prix, along with Dutch and Spanish races, on Thursday as the coronavirus outbreak pushed the 2020 season start back to June at the earliest.
A joint statement by Formula One and the governing FIA said they expected the season to start “as soon as it is safe to do so after May”.
Monaco, a glamour highlight of the motor racing calendar, was scheduled for May 24.
The Dutch Grand Prix, making its Formula One return for the first time in 35 years, had been due at Zandvoort on May 3 with the Spanish Grand Prix at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya on May 10.
The March 15 season-opening Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne was already cancelled. Formula One cancelled its August break on Wednesday, bringing it forward to March and April, and plans to cram the European summer and second half of the year with as many races as possible.
The first race in June is the Azerbaijan Grand Prix in Baku on June 7.
Leander Paes on Thursday said the country must not panic and fall in the trap of fake news in its battle to contain the Covid-19 pandemic, urging people to follow WHO guidelines to stay safe. “It is important that we follow guidelines set by WHO and the MoHFW_INDIA, not panic, and not fall into the trap of, or spread fake news,” he tweeted.
- The Pakistan Cricket Board on Thursday claimed that all the 128 Covid-19 tests it conducted on the players, support staff, match officials, broadcasters and team owners involved in the PSL have come negative.
- Clubs in Japan’s top domestic soccer league have agreed that there will be no relegation this season, the J.League announced on Thursday.
- Brazilian soccer club Flamengo told fans on Wednesday their coach Jorge Jesus has tested negative.
- Real Madrid striker Luka Jovic is being investigated by Serbian authorities for allegedly flouting a mandatory self-isolation measure after returning home from a coronavirus-infected state, local media reported Thursday.
- Indian shuttler Parupalli Kashyap has termed International Olympic Committee’s statement to encourage athletes to continue training for the Tokyo Games as a “joke”, saying it “makes no sense”.
- Borussia Moenchengladbach’s players and coaching staff became the first in Germany to accept pay cuts to support the club as revenues dry up due to halted matches.
- All men’s and women’s professional tennis tournaments through June 7 have been called off because of the coronavirus pandemic.