Bhubaneswar, Aug. 2: The Congress will oppose the government’s decision to set up the Sindol hydro-power project in western Orissa. A resolution to this effect was taken at a meeting of the Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC) chaired by Orissa state Congress president Niranjan Patnaik.
Former PCC president Sarat Patnaik, who was former MP from the Balangir seat in Lok Sabha, said that people of four districts — Boudh, Sonepur, Sambalpur and Bargarh — would be affected and hundreds acres of land would be submerged because of the proposed project. People of the region have already expressed reservations against the power project.
“Earlier, the BJD government had given the assurance that the project would never come up. We fail to understand what made the same government take a U-turn and sign an MoU to set up the Sindol mega hydro-power project,” Patnaik said.
A fortnight ago, the Orissa Hydro Power Corporation Limited (OHPC) had inked an MoU with the National Hydro Power Corporation Limited to set up Sindol-1–II and III hydro electric projects. Around Rs 2,600 crore will be invested in the hydro-power project. The project envisages generation of 1,090 MU (million units) with an installed capacity of 320 MW. These projects are likely to come up by 2016.
Orissa energy minister Atanu Sabyasachi Nayak has already made it clear that the height of the reservoir would be reduced so as to avoid inundation. In a related development, people of Sonepur have called a bandh tomorrow. PCC president Patnaik said the Congress was opposing the project because it would lead to displacement of people. “Even if a single person is affected by the project, the party will oppose it.”
It was also decided at the PCC meeting that rallies would be organised on August 9 (Quit India day) demanding the resignation of chief minister Naveen Patnaik as his government had been involved in a number of scams.
The ruling Biju Janata Dal is also organising a youth convention in Cuttack to mark the day.





