Recipes for a spooky and fun Halloween
Executive Pastry Chef Stephenson Simson of The Leela Ambience Gurugram Hotel & Residences shares recipes for a fun-filled Halloween
- Published 31.10.19, 1:24 PM
- Updated 31.10.19, 1:24 PM
- 2 mins read
CHOCOLATE PEARL RED TEETH
Finishing-(chocolate pearl cookie, butter cream, marshmallow, raspberry jam)
Chocolate Pearl Cookie
- 130 gm butter
- 140 gm raw cane sugar
- 55 gm eggs
- 180 gm multi purpose flour
- 3 gm baking powder
- 150 gm chopped walnuts
- 180 gm dark chocolate pearl
- Soften the butter, add in the brown sugar and beat until pale.
- Pour in the eggs followed by the flour sieved with the baking powder beforehand.
- Stir in the chocolate pearls and walnuts.
- Roll to cylinders of about 5 cm and place in the freezer until hard.
- Once hardened, cut into slices of 5 mm thick and lay down on a baking tray lined with a silicon paper or holed silicon mat. Bake at 160°C for about 15 minutes and leave to cool down on a tray.
- 100 gm sugar
- 30 gm water
- 125 gm soft butter
- 25 gm egg white
Boil water and sugar until it becomes a small boule. Pour into the egg white and whip up until cool. At last add soft butter then whip up until it is well mixed.
- 250 gm sugar
- 150 gm water
- 45 gm egg white
- 25 gm invert sugar
- 10 gm gelatin leaves
- 4 gm bourbon vanilla bean
- Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water.
- Split the vanilla pod, scrape out the seeds then add both the pod and seeds to the water and sugar and heat to 80C/176F.
- Cover and leave to infuse for 20 minutes, strain into a fresh saucepan and boil to 125C/257F.
- When the sugar solution has reached 110C/230F start whisking the egg white and invert sugar and whisk until you have a well aerated meringue, pour the hot syrup slowly into the meringue mixture. Continue whisking and add the gelatine, whisk further until you obtain a stable mixture…
Layer the chocolate cookies with butter cream, rasberry jam and marshmallow. With the help of a knife make teeth as shown in the picture. Use chopped walnuts to decorate.
PUMPKIN JACK-O’-LANTERN COOKIES
Finishing-(Baked cookie, colour marzipan)
- 115 gm unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 50 gm dark brown sugar
- 100 gm granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90 gm pumpkin puree (chilled)
- 190 gm plain flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp allspice
- 100 gm dark chocolate bar (roughly chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a bowl, beat the melted butter, brown and white sugar together until no lumps remain.
- Beat in the vanilla and pumpkin until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder and soda, salt and spices until just combined, then fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons each of the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten each one slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes in the pre-heated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Decorate with coloured marzipan and melted chocolate as shown in the picture