MY KOLKATA EDUGRAPH
ADVERTISEMENT
Regular-article-logo Saturday, 21 February 2026

Nitish seal on action against SP - CID report overruled, CM acts on police headquarters proposal in torture case

Read more below

RAMASHANKAR Published 21.11.13, 12:00 AM

The home department has finally initiated disciplinary action against former Sheikhpura superintendent of police (SP) Babu Ram in connection with a custodial torture case.

This has come just a few days after the preliminary report submitted by the CID in which Ram had been given a clean chit. It was mentioned that he was attending a meeting at Haveli Kharagpur in Munger district when the incident had taken place. The report also talked about mobile tower location to substantiate the claim that Ram was not present when the youth was being tortured.

The department, headed by the chief minister himself, on Tuesday approved the police headquarters proposal to initiate departmental proceedings against Ram for negligence of duty, misconduct and misbehaviour causing disrespect to the post of a senior officer while serving as the SP of Sheikhpura early this year.

Mukesh Kumar alias Chhoti, a resident of Sheikhpura district, was allegedly subjected to physical harassment by the SP’s bodyguards in the confidential cell of the police chief’s official residence on January 24 this year. Mukesh was reportedly wanted in connection with sale of illicit liquor.

A deputy superintendent of police (DIG) Kamal Kishore Singh has been appointed conducting officer for the proceedings against Ram, posted as the Buxar SP at present. The conducting officer has been asked to complete the proceedings within three months and submit his report to the department.

Chief minister Nitish Kumar is holding the home portfolio and the police headquarters proposal has also got his seal. Ram, a 2009-batch IPS officer, has been told to be present before the conducting officer within 10 days of the receipt of the order.

Home department principal secretary Amir Subhani said: “An official order in this regard has already been issued.” He added that the officer had been provided with the article of charges, statement of imputation of misbehaviour and misconduct and the evidences against him.

The action against Ram has been initiated under Section 8 of the All India Service (discipline and appeal) Rules, 1969. The order to initiate proceedings was issued after review of the charges levelled against the officer at the headquarters level, a source in the home department said.

The sources said Ram was served a showcause notice on March 19 this year asking him to present his side of the story. The officer in question, however, petitioned thrice seeking more time to submit his reply. The letters were sent to the home department on April 4, May 16 and July 26, 2013, respectively.

Earlier, the CID was assigned to probe the charges against the policemen, who were involved in alleged torture of the 20-year-old youth. The cops allegedly applied third degree on the youth leading to rapture of his intestine. The victim was later operated upon at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.

Eight policemen, including the four constables deployed as bodyguards of the SP, and a sub-inspector of police heading the special branch, were put under suspension by Sheikhpura superintendent of police Meenu Kumari last week. Gajendra Singh, a DSP-rank officer in the CID, was appointed the investigating officer of the case lodged with the Sheikhpura town police station on the statement of the victim.

Follow us on:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT