MY KOLKATA EDUGRAPH
ADVERTISEMENT
Regular-article-logo Monday, 16 February 2026

High cut-off marks cut short Delhi dreams - Several students return home disappointed, others forced to settle for not-so-favourite courses

Read more below

SMITA KUMAR Published 22.06.11, 12:00 AM

Patna, June 21: Astronomical cut-offs have cut short the Delhi dreams of several students of the state this year. While many of them have been forced to opt for courses that are not their first choice, others have been compelled to forego admission in reputable colleges of the national capital.

The colleges of Delhi University — hot destinations for the school passouts of Bihar every year — have become restricted zones this year, thanks to the cut-off that are as high as cent per cent in certain courses. The university published its first selection list on June 16, and the second list today. Thousands of students from the state have, however, found their names missing from either.

As a result, many will now have to wait for the third list. Many more have to just give up the chase.

Minal Singh, a passout from Notre Dame Academy, wanted to study geography at the undergraduate stage and then take the civil service examination. She had to be content with an honours course in political science. She got admission in Maitreyi College.

“I wanted to prepare for the civil services with geography as my subject. But I had to settle for political science. The reason for this is the high cut-off in the first list,” Singh said.

She got 80 per cent marks in the boards but most colleges on the north campus of Delhi University are asking for at least 82 per cent.

Singh said several students, who have got less marks in their board exams, would not be able to get admission at all.

This year DU will come up with five lists, whereas last year the varsity had published only three lists.

Sources said last year around 5,400 seats in the OBC category of Delhi University were not filled. As a result, the university has decided to publish five selection lists this year to ensure that no seat was vacant.

The students from the state are not too happy with multiple selection lists, as they are not helping their case.

A student said: “I wonder why the university will publish five selection lists if it does not have vacant seats for the general category or for students belonging to other categories apart from that of OBC.”

Another student, Rahul Kumar, said: “The second list was out today but it is of no use because the admissions are closed for most of the popular courses in the colleges of repute.”

Anjali, another student who had gone to Delhi, has returned home. She did get admission in a college in Delhi but it was not one of the reputed ones. She will now continue with her education in Patna.

For most students like her, this homecoming has been one filled with disappointment.

Follow us on:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT