Aussie women sue Qatar over searches
Five Australian women have sued the Qatari government two years after they were pulled off a plane and subjected to invasive medical procedures as part of an investigation into the abandonment of a newborn in an airport bathroom.
While Qatar has said it will review the protocols, the women say they want the country to enact policy changes to prevent a repeat of what happened to them.
Their lawyer, Damian Sturzaker, said that court papers were filed in Australia last week and served to the state-owned Qatar Airways on Thursday and that legal papers would also be sent to Qatar’s Civil Aviation Authority.
The women are seeking unspecified damages and costs.
Qatar Airways, the aviation authority and the government communications office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The five women were among more than a dozen who were escorted off a Qatar Airways flight by guards carrying guns after the newborn was found at Hamad International Airport, in the Qatari capital, Doha, in October 2020.