The UK police on Thursday arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the younger brother of King Charles III, on suspicion of misconduct in public office following allegations over his association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Thames Valley Police said they are carrying out searches at addresses associated with the former prince in Berkshire and Norfolk, while he remains in police custody.
While the force said they will not be naming the arrested man, it is being widely reported that the arrest involves Andrew, who turned 66 on Thursday.
"Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office," said Oliver Wright, Assistant Chief Constable of Thames Valley Police.
"It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time," he said.
Virginia Giuffre’s family said in a statement that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest shows that “no one is above the law”, reported The Guardian.
Giuffre was one of the most prominent victims of Epstein who also alleged she had been sexually trafficked to Prince Andrew. She took her own life in April 2025, aged 41.
The statement reads: "At last, today our broken hearts have been lifted with the news that no one is above the law – not even royalty. On behalf of our sister, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley Police in their investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you."
Before the arrest was announced, the Prime Minister told BBC Breakfast, “nobody is above the law” when asked about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, reported The Guardian.
Keir Starmer added: "Anybody who has any information should testify. So whether it’s Andrew or anybody else, anybody who has got relevant information should come forward to whatever the relevant body is, in this particular case we’re talking about Epstein, but there are plenty of other cases."
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested.
The arrest follows allegations released in the Epstein files by the US Congress, with Buckingham Palace issuing a statement earlier this month saying it "stands ready" to support a police investigation into Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct.
"The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor's conduct. While the specific claims in question are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police we stand ready to support them as you would expect. As was previously stated, Their Majesties' [Charles and Camilla] thoughts and sympathies have been, and remain with, the victims of any and all forms of abuse," the Palace said.
The statement came after the 77-year-old monarch was heckled during royal visits.
Prince William and Kate Middleton’s office also issued a statement, saying: "I can confirm the Prince and Princess have been deeply concerned by the continuing revelations. Their thoughts remain focused on the victims," Kensington Palace said.
Andrew, who was stripped of all his royal titles of Prince and Duke of York last year, has consistently denied wrongdoing.
"We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court," Thames Valley Police said.
The BBC reported that Andrew was arrested over allegations he sent confidential government documents to Jeffrey Epstein.
Earlier this month, police were considering claims that Mountbatten-Windsor had passed documents to the late convicted sex offender.
"Thames Valley Police have opened an investigation into an offence of misconduct in public office. A man in his sixties from Norfolk has been arrested and remains in police custody. As per national guidance we will not name the arrested man," the force said on X.
Newspapers reported that six unmarked police cars and around eight plain-clothed officers arrived at Wood Farm, on the Sandringham estate in eastern England, where Mountbatten-Windsor now lives.
The former prince, second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has always denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein and said he regrets their friendship.
Mountbatten-Windsor was reported to police by the anti-monarchy group Republic following the release of more than 3 million pages of documents related to Epstein, who was convicted in 2008 of soliciting prostitution from a minor.
Those files suggested that in 2010, Mountbatten-Windsor forwarded to Epstein reports about Vietnam, Singapore, and other places he had visited on official trips.
Thames Valley Police and the Crown Prosecution Service have previously said they were in discussions over the case. Police said allegations of misconduct in public office, which is a Common Law offence, involved "particular complexities".
Mountbatten-Windsor was forced to step down from the trade role in 2011 amid growing concern about his friendship with Epstein, who had been sentenced to 18 months in prison in 2008 after pleading guilty to soliciting a minor for prostitution.
Once a subject of media fascination for his love life, the man the tabloids dubbed "Randy Andy" became a regular source of headlines because of his money woes and links to questionable characters, including Epstein, the American financier and convicted sex offender.
After Epstein was arrested again in 2019, Andrew gave a disastrous interview to the BBC's Newsnight program, in which he tried to explain away his contacts with Epstein. It backfired – he was widely criticised for giving unbelievable explanations and for failing to show empathy for Epstein's victims.
Amid the backlash, Andrew announced on Nov. 20, 2019, that he was giving up public duties and charity roles "for the foreseeable future."
In August 2021, one of Epstein's victims, Virginia Giuffre, sued Andrew in a New York court, alleging that the prince had sex with her when she was underage. Andrew denied the allegations, but he was stripped of all military affiliations and royal charity work.
Andrew ultimately settled the case for an undisclosed sum. While he didn't admit wrongdoing, Andrew did acknowledge Giuffre's suffering as a victim of sex trafficking. Giuffre died by suicide in April 2025, aged 41.
That was not the end of the story. After emails emerged last year showing Andrew remained in contact with Epstein longer than he previously claimed, King Charles III stripped his brother of his princely title and other honours and his home at Royal Lodge in Windsor.
Now he is also in police custody.
He remains eighth in line to the British throne.





