Advertisement

Home / West-bengal / Calcutta / ‘Gas-leak’ fire during puja kills Calcutta woman

‘Gas-leak’ fire during puja kills Calcutta woman

Although cops have not found any foul play during preliminary investigation, an unnatural death case has been registered with Kasba police station
Manjula Dutta, 60, a resident of Bosepukur Prantik Pally in Kasba, was performing her daily morning puja around 6.30am on December 12 when the accident occurred, police said.  Cops suspect that the fire had broken out because of a leak in the LPG cylinder at her home.

Our Special Correspondent   |   Calcutta   |   Published 20.12.20, 01:37 AM

An elderly woman who got burned while performing puja at her home a few days ago died of the injuries at a nursing home on Friday evening.

Manjula Dutta, 60, a resident of Bosepukur Prantik Pally in Kasba, was performing her daily morning puja around 6.30am on December 12 when the accident occurred, police said.

Cops suspect that the fire had broken out because of a leak in the LPG cylinder at her home.

“The moment she lit a match stick in her puja room, there was a big fire and her apparel caught fire,” said an officer of Kasba police station.

She was admitted to a nursing home on BB Chatterjee Road where she succumbed to her injuries on Friday.

Although cops have not found any foul play during preliminary investigation, an unnatural death case has been registered with Kasba police station. Her body has been sent for post-mortem.

Senior officers said they had not received any complaint from the family till Saturday.

“A forensic team had visited the spot. The cause of the fire appears to be because of their LPG leak. It is very important to periodically get the LPG pipes — that connect the cylinder to the gas oven — checked. This could have serious consequences,” said a senior officer.

Earlier this month, another elderly woman had died of burn injuries because of an LPG leak.

Chaya Nag, 74, was cooking at her daughter’s home in Radha Madhab  Dutta Garden Lane in Beleghata, on December 7, when an LPG cylinder leak triggered the fire. Her daughter, who was standing near her, was also injured.

A forensic official said it is very important to have proper ventilation in the kitchen to prevent accidents even if there is a leakage. 

Several homes keep their windows closed in winter. “If the gas gets trapped, the chances of a fire increase manifold the moment a match stick is lit or there is any source of ignition,” said the forensic official.

Advertisement


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
 
 
 
Copyright © 2020 The Telegraph. All rights reserved.