Blaze at state youth welfare department’s office in Dalhousie, fireman hurt
A fire broke out in the state youth welfare department’s office in Dalhousie on Thursday night.
A firefighter was injured while carrying out fire fighting operations in the third-floor office and had to be hospitalised.
Witnesses said they had spotted fumes coming out of the building, located near Lal Dighi adjacent to the Telephone Exchange building, around 9pm.
Till 10.30pm, 10 fire tenders had reached the spot. Sujit Bose, the fire services minister, was on the spot to oversee the entire exercise.
A team from the Calcutta police’s disaster management group joined the firefighters to bring the blaze under control.
“It appeared to be a fire from an electrical short circuit. Experts would reach the site on Friday to make their assessment,” a fire department official said.
A fire broke inside a sari godown on the third floor of a 11-storied building on Park Street on Thursday morning.
Ten fire tenders brought the blaze at Poddar Point, the highrise adjoining Apeejay School that houses around 80 offices and a few godowns, under control after nearly four hours.
Police said no one was injured even though glass panes had to be smashed to help firefighters continue with their operations.
Fire department officials suspect the fire was because of an electrical short circuit.