Family names principal & two others in FIR

Read more below

  • Published 20.08.08

Cooch Behar, Aug. 20: Sanatan Murmu today filed an FIR accusing college principal Amulya Barman, hostel superintendent Tapas Barman and general secretary of the hostel committee Arijit Das of murdering his brother.

A first year student of Cooch Behar Polytechnic, Sunil was pronounced dead at the district hospital on Sunday after he was taken there by fellow boarders, who found him barely conscious on his dormitory bed. Sanatan, a constable with the State Armed Police, arrived here early today from Kolaghat in East Midnapore.

Sanatan had filed an FIR with the Kotwali police station at 10.30am before going to the see the body. A shocked Sanatan on emerging from the morgue said Sunil’s body had injury marks on the back, head and face and bruises all over. He had seen the body in the presence of an executive magistrate. “There was a blood clot on one side of the head as well,” said Sanatan, who arrived three days after his brother’s death. He went back to the police station and filed a fresh FIR naming the three and “others” for carrying out a pre-planned murder.

Last month, Sanatan had come to help Sunil settle down at the polytechnic college. “Whenever I called him up, Sunil used to say the seniors in the hostel were torturing him. When I asked him for names, he told me about a group led by Arijit Das. He said he would name the others when he came home for vacation,” Sanatan wrote in the FIR.

In the afternoon, the SFI members gheraoed the principal and the hostel superintendent on the hospital campus and shouted slogans demanding their arrest.

Cooch Behar police superintendent Devendra Prakash Singh said investigations into the case had started.

Subrata Dutta, a central committee member of the SFI, alleged that there was enough evidence around to prove that ragging has been going on in the college for the past few years. “If the principal, the superintendent and the general secretary of the hostel committee are not arrested soon we will start an indefinite agitation from tomorrow,” he said.

Principal Amulya Barman said the entire incident was unfortunate. “Let the police investigate and find out if I am guilty. I have sent a report to the director of technical education and training in Calcutta and awaiting instructions.”

According to the principal, a second-year student of the civil engineering department, Suman Hazra who had left the hostel on Sunday, has been contacted and told to return immediately. Hostel superintendent Tapas Barman refused comment.

Sunil’s body was released after at 2.15pm postmortem.