CRPF jawans hurt in Garo hills gun battle

Read more below

  • Published 4.07.14

Tura, July 3: Two CRPF personnel were injured in a gun battle between security forces and the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) this morning at Bolsal A’ding, near Resubelpara in the North Garo Hills.

The security personnel sustained bullet injuries and were first taken to a hospital in Goalpara. Later they were admitted to Down Town Hospital in Guwahati. Their condition is said to be out of danger.

Guwahati is 130km from Resubelpara in North Garo Hills, which is along the Assam-Meghalaya border.

Police said two GNLA militants, who were injured in the encounter, managed to escape.

The security personnel who were injured in the encounter are constable Khocsabar and constable Ventutchulum from 120 Battalion of the CRPF posted at Resubelpara.

North Garo Hills superintendent of police Jerry Marak said, “One of the jawans was shot in the chest, while the other in the shoulder when they were on a routine operation to flush out militants hiding in the district.”

The operation against the militants began late last evening, and is still on.

“The exchange of fire lasted for about 30 minutes. It was a makeshift camp in the jungle on a hilltop, near Rongkaminchi village,” he said.

He said at least 15 hardcore GNLA militants had taken shelter at the makeshift camp.

“The encounter took place around 4am. There was exchange of fire between security forces and the militants. All the militants managed to flee from the spot during the encounter taking advantage of the hostile terrain,” Marak added.

The police recovered a huge cache of arms and ammunition from the encounter spot, which included a number 3 pistol with 10 rounds of live ammunition and three magazines, two hand grenades, a claymore mine, remote-controlled device, 19 detonators, seven walkie-talkies, two AK magazines, 130 rounds of AK and four rounds of SLR ammunition, 10 rounds of 7.65 live ammunition, four SLR magazines, GNLA pads, five GNLA ID cards, 2 election ID cards, two labour ID cards, demand notes and 51 SIM cards.

The police said the camp belonged to Philliport, the area commander of the GNLA.