Saurashtra in Ranji Trophy final against Bengal
Saurashtra entered their second successive Ranji Trophy final with a 92-run win over Gujarat on the final day of their semi-final on Wednesday.
Saurashtra captain and lead pacer Jaydev Unadkat led from the front with a seven-wicket haul as Gujarat were bowled out for 234 in the final session of the game.
Unadkat also scripted history by becoming the pacer with most number of wickets in a Ranji Trophy season. In nine matches so far, the left-arm pacer has taken 63 wickets.
In order to counter Unadkat, left-arm pacers Geet Puri and Roshan Singh will be going along with the Bengal squad as net bowlers.
Saurashtra, meanwhile, will be boosted by the inclusion of Cheteshwar Pujara for the final.
Brief scores: Saurashtra: 304 & 274. Gujarat 252 & 234 (C. Gandhi 96, P. Patel 93; J. Unadkat 7/56). Saurashtra won by 92 runs.
Jaydev Unadkat became the pacer with the most number of wickets in a Ranji Trophy season, picking up 63 from 9 matches after his 7/56 in the semi-final versus Gujarat on Wednesday. Following is the list of five pacers with the most number of wickets in one season:
- Jaydev Unadkat (Saurashtra) — 63 wickets, 9 matches (2019-20)
- Dodda Ganesh (Karnataka) — 62 wickets, 11 matches (1998-99)
- Ranadeb Bose (Bengal) — 57 wickets, 8 matches (2006-07)
- Harshal Patel (Haryana) — 52 wickets, 9 matches (2019-20)
- Ishwar Chaudhary (Sikkim) — 51 wickets, 8 matches (2018-19)