BCCI red flags Namibia tour
Bengal will need to replan their pre-season schedule as their tour of Namibia for a T20 competition in Windhoek next month has not been approved by the BCCI.
It was learnt that the Board conveyed its decision to the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) back on Friday. The Board refused to allow the Bengal team from taking part since it’s a T20 tournament featuring teams from other countries (including Lahore Qalandars of Pakistan).
“Because it’s a T20 competition with teams from other countries participating, and will be held in a league format, the Board didn’t give the go ahead. “The CAB was told that had it been a 50-overs-aside tournament, participation would’ve been approved then,” a CAB source said. Indian cricketers are not allowed to take part in overseas T20 leagues in order to maintain the IPL’s exclusivity.
Although no one in the CAB said anything on record regarding this matter, the BCCI’s refusal to give its approval for Global T20 Namibia doesn’t seem to have gone down too well with the state association. The CAB had even announced a 16-member Bengal squad for the tournament last month and was getting ready with the other formalities well in advance.
Chatterjee’s move After former India wicketkeeper-batter Wriddhiman Saha, Sudip Chatterjee, too, will be quitting Bengal and moving over to Tripura.
“Sudip is signing the contract tomorrow (Monday) as a professional player,” Tripura Cricket Association joint secretary Kishore Das said.
Chatterjee, struggling with his form over the last few seasons, didn’t wish to reveal much on his move.
“I do have a few reasons, but I’ll elaborate later,” the top-order batter stated.