Around 100 puja committees will parade their idols and their members will perform before guests seated along Red Road as a part of the Durga Puja carnival on Saturday.
Each puja committee will get three minutes to play their theme song and perform any cultural programme. Several roads will be closed for more than six hours in the heart of Kolkata. Police have suggested possible alternatives.
A lowdown of what to expect and the road restrictions that will be in place on Saturday.
Carnival starts at 4.30pm
Expected duration: 6 hours
Road restrictions and alternative routes suggested by police for the duration stretching from 2pm till 11pm on Saturday:
- Hospital Road (north-bound) will be closed to traffic. Alternative route: AJC Bose Road-Jawaharlal Nehru Road
- Kidderpore Road will be closed. Alternative route: St Georges Gate Road-Strand Road
- Red Road will remain closed. Alternative route: Rani Rashmoni Avenue-Jawaharlal Nehru Road or Rani Rashmoni Avenue-Kingsway-Strand Road
- Queensway will remain closed. Alternative route: Cathedral Road-Jawaharlal Nehru Road
- Mayo Road will remain closed. Alternative route: Jawaharlal Nehru Road-Rani Rashmoni Avenue
- No parking: Parking will be prohibited on the following roads from Saturday noon till the end of the programme
- Government Place West, between Rani Rashmoni Avenue and Esplanade Row West
- Chowringhee Road
- Cathedral Road
- Mayo Road
- Strand Road
- Western flank of Bentinck Street (between Chittaranjan Avenue and Ganesh Chandra Avenue)
- RN Mukherjee Road
- Hare Street
- Old Court House Street (western side)