HR MATTERS 27-07-2010

Read more below

By SANJAY ROY CHOWDHURY Managing director, Gray Matters Consulting Pvt. Ltd
  • Published 27.07.10

Q: I am 35 years old and passed BCom (Hons) in 1997. I am now working in a manufacturing company in Haldia. I am pursuing MCom through distance education from Annamalai University. I also want to do a course in company secretaryship. Do you think pursuing MBA (finance) through distance education will be of any help?

Subhasish Das

A: As age is not on your side, I would urge you to first decide on a career plan and based on that consider whether an MCom, a CA or an MBA would help you achieve your goal. All the degrees mentioned by you would help in diverse ways.

Q:I am a science graduate and have completed MBA in human resources (HR) in 2009 from the Indira Gandhi National Open University (Ignou). I have three years’ experience in steel making operation and five years’ experience in internal auditing. I want to become a lead auditor. Should I pursue a postgraduate diploma in environment science from Ignou for ISO 14001 certification and then do a lead auditor’s course?

Debashis Roy

A: If you were looking for a career in auditing and implementation, why did you go for an MBA in HR? As you would have gathered by now, the main thrust areas are different in HR. You can be in the HR or quality department, or work as a lead auditor. If you want to be an auditor, I think you should go directly for the lead auditor’s course and thereafter specialise in any particular domain.

Q: I have around seven years’ experience in administration and HR. I hold a master degree in commerce. What should I opt for: an MBA or any short-term course? I had quit my job in 2005 after my marriage.

Ritu Ghosh

A:It has been five years since you last worked in an organisation. If you are interested in HR, you should do a diploma course in HR through distance education and also work alongside. You already have seven years’ experience in the field and a degree would help you augment your educational qualification and bring you back to corporate work life.

Q: I have been working in a US-based company in Calcutta for the last two years. My job profile includes general administration, attendance and leave management, recruitment and preparation of MIS Reports. I want to have full knowledge of statutory matters like provident fund (PF), employee state insurance (ESI), professional tax etcetra. What should I do?

Animesh Das

A: You can gain knowledge about PF, ESI and other statutory obligations if you join a start-up or a large manufacturing organisation where there are many employees whose records needs to be maintained. If you are interested in the statutory side of HR, then you could gain exposure in a large manufacturing organisation.

Q: I graduated with honours in BSc from Calcutta University with 43 per cent marks. I also completed MBA with 62 per cent marks. I have also done BCom (honours) from the Netaji Subhas Open University with 59 per cent marks and am now working in a big FMCG company for 6 years. I want to do a postgraduate programme in management for executives (PGPX) from the Indian Institute of Management but I am worried about my BSc and BCom marks because some institutes ask for 50 per cent marks in graduation, Will my open university degree be considered for the PGPX course?

Subhas Mukherjee

A:If you are applying to the IIMs then they would only consider your Calcutta University graduation marks and not the Open University marks. But why do you want to go in for some other courses when you have already done MBA and also have a job in a big FMCG. What growth are you envisaging after having a PGPX course. I would suggest you to talk to your HR department and see if they would value any of these courses for you, otherwise it would be a waste of time for you.

Send your letters to
HR Matters at The Telegraph,
Jobs Desk,
6 Prafulla Sarkar Street, Calcutta 700001;
or fax at 2225 3142;
or send emails to
All letters should have your full name and postal address.