Ranchi: The cabinet on Tuesday announced Rs 2 lakh compensation to the next kin of persons killed in mob violence, including lynching, in Jharkhand where cow vigilantism and child abduction rumours have led to over 15 deaths in the last two years.
The state cabinet also endorsed proportional compensation to other losses caused by mob violence, like Rs 1 lakh for permanent physical disability and 25 per cent of the total amount of property damaged in mob violence.
Home department principal secretary S.K.G. Rahate, who also holds additional charge of cabinet coordination department, told the media that the Supreme Court had recently asked states to frame policies to give compensation to mob lynching victims.
In Jharkhand, a victim compensation scheme has been in force since 2016, he said. "Today (Tuesday) the clause mob violence / mob lynching has been added to the eligible list of beneficiaries of the scheme. Hereafter, mob violence / lynching victims would also be getting compensation in tune with the provisions of the scheme," he clarified.
• Pahardiha gold mine block, spread over 279.609 hectare in West Singhbhum district, was leased to Calcutta's Maithan Ispat that won the prospective mining licence through e-auction in August last year
• As many as 882 posts of class III and IV employees were sanctioned for the proposed medical colleges in Dumka, Hazaribagh and Daltonganj. These colleges would have 100 MBBS seats each
• Regulations were amended to facilitate promotion of forest guards as conservators
• The office of electricity department's chief engineer cum chief inspector in Ranchi was been attached to the energy department
• Regulations were amended for awarding contracts and charging fees against shifting / installing utilities, laying pebble tile on footpaths, et al, on state highways, major district roads and other roads
• Services of suspended Jharkhand Administrative Services officer Anwar Hussain was terminated for alleged acts of omission and commission while he as Jairidih (Bokaro) BDO
• Adjournment of monsoon session of the state Assembly approved with retrospective effect.