MY KOLKATA EDUGRAPH
ADVERTISEMENT
regular-article-logo Saturday, 20 April 2024

PM Modi says Mann Ki Baat suspended for next three months, cites ‘political decorum’

The model code of conduct comes into effect with the announcement of elections by the poll panel and it prohibits the use of government or public-funded events for campaigning

J.P. Yadav New Delhi Published 26.02.24, 04:51 AM
Narendra Modi.

Narendra Modi. File Photo.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday said his monthly radio address Mann ki Baat would remain suspended for the next three months in line with “political decorum” ahead of the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.

The model code of conduct comes into effect with the announcement of elections by the poll panel and it prohibits the use of government or public-funded events for campaigning. The last Lok Sabha polls in 2019 were announced in early March.

ADVERTISEMENT

Modi sought to portray his monthly radio address as apolitical but at the same time said he would adhere to “political decorum” and refrain from airing the programme.

“In a way, this is a programme prepared by the people, for the people, through the people,” he said during the 110th episode of the radio broadcast on Sunday.

“But still, adhering to political decorum, Mann ki Baat will not be broadcast for the next three months in these days of the Lok Sabha elections,” he added.

Modi said the election atmosphere had already gripped the country and there was a “possibility that the code of conduct might also be in place in March”, as had happened in 2019.

Exuding confidence about returning to power for a third straight term, Modi said, alluding to the 111th episode: “The next time Mann ki Baat starting with the auspicious 111...what better than that.”

Follow us on:
ADVERTISEMENT