Monday, 30th October 2017

E- paper

Mumbai rains: 30 flights cancelled, train service crippled

118 fights have been delayed

By PTI in Mumbai
  • Published 5.09.19, 12:11 PM
  • Updated 5.09.19, 12:11 PM
  • a min read
People wade through flooded railway tracks during heavy rain in Mumbai on September 4. PTI

Flight operations at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport in Mumbai were affected for the second day with 30 flights being cancelled and another 118 getting delayed on Thursday.

According to a live flight tracking website, 14 incoming and 16 outbound flights were cancelled on Thursday. In addition, 118 flights were delayed, including 86 set for departure.

Operations at the country's second busiest airport witnessed disruptions as heavy downpour crippled the city on Wednesday. The airport handles around 1,000 flight arrivals and departures a day.

With local train services slowing down or coming to a standstill and traffic snarls on major roads, airline and airport staff were unable to reach their workplaces too, resulting in delays and cancellations on Wednesday and its spillover effect continued today, sources said.

In a brief statement, Mumbai International Airport Ltd said "operations are normal," but adding that “IndiGo has reported cancellations. Please contact the airlines for further information.”

IndiGo suspended operations because of a paucity of manpower on Wednesday night, a source said. The airline said in a statement on Thursday morning that operations had resumed according to the schedule.

"There are few cancellations to stabilise the operations. Therefore, we request the passengers to check the status of their flight before proceeding to the airport.... All affected passengers are being accommodated on alternate flights," it said.

Around 20 flights, most of them of IndiGo, were cancelled on Wednesday and 455 were delayed due to the incessant rain.

"My IndiGo flight was scheduled to take off for Jaipur at 7.55 pm on Wednesday night. It took off at 6 am today and landed in Jaipur at 8 am. I boarded the flight around midnight but all passengers remained seated in the aircraft till departure this morning," a passenger said.

"There was no dinner. Passengers came onto the tarmac and created a ruckus. Someone even called the CISF," he added.