Chief minister Arvind Kejriwal shunned the annual monsoon blame game between Delhi’s civic agencies after a man drowned in a flooded underpass and another was electrocuted elsewhere in the city on Sunday.
Hours after the dawn deluge, he tweeted: “This year, all agencies, be it Delhi government (under Aam Aadmi Party) or municipal corporations of Delhi (under the BJP), were engaged in corona control. They faced many difficulties due to corona. This is not the time to blame each other. Everyone has to fulfil their responsibilities together. Wherever water collects, we will try to remove it immediately.”
The body of a 60-year-old driver, Kundan, was fished out of the waterlogged area under the Minto Bridge at 10am. The underpass connects the Ramlila Grounds to the retail hub of Connaught Circus.
Police said Kundan had tried to drive a Tata Ace mini-truck through the water, got stuck under the bridge and eventually drowned.
A public bus and two autos too were stuck under the bridge. These were not carrying passengers. Their drivers and the bus conductor were rescued by the fire services.
The area used to get submerged every year, but had improved over the past five years.
A man was electrocuted in Jahangirpuri, north Delhi. A road caved in, taking several small dwellings down with it, at Anna Colony in central Delhi.
Traffic snarls formed in several places, and even South Avenue and Raisina Road — close to Rashtrapati Bhavan and Parliament — were flooded.
The Safdarjung observatory recorded more than 74.8mm rain in the 24-hour period till 8.30am, almost all of it at dawn on Sunday.
A dome of the Masjid Mubarak Begum in Hauz Qazi, built in 1823, collapsed in the rain.
The BJP did not reciprocate Kejriwal’s gesture. Delhi BJP president Adesh Gupta tweeted: “This is the Kejriwal-ruled Delhi, the same Delhi he planned to turn into London. Every year, the carelessness and unpreparedness of the Delhi government and the public works department for the monsoon allows us to see Venice here instead.”
Aam Aadmi Party MLA Raghav Chadha explained that all the civic agencies had been tied up managing the lockdown or providing relief till June, when the desilting of drains began. He said this was now being done urgently.
Thunderstorms have been forecast until Tuesday.