Advertisement

Home / India / Centre’s telling TV chronology

Centre’s telling TV chronology

The Supreme Court pointed out that had it not intervened, the ‘show would have been completely aired by now’
Supreme Court of India

R. Balaji   |   New Delhi   |   Published 24.09.20, 02:41 AM

The Centre has said a TV programme by Sudarshan News on Muslims is “prima facie” in violation of a code and that the channel has been showcaused afresh on Wednesday, prompting the Supreme Court to point out that had it not intervened, the “show would have been completely aired by now”.

The controversial, multi-episode programme that suggests jihadi elements have infiltrated the civil services had been broadcast from September 11. But the Supreme Court, acting on multiple petitions, had stayed the telecast of the remaining episodes on September 15 until further orders.

Solicitor-general Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Centre, said the channel had been asked to reply by September 28 why action should not be taken against it.

“If the case wasn’t heard, the show would have been completely aired by now,” said Justice D.Y. Chandrachud.

In view of the Centre’s fresh notice, the bench adjourned the matter till October 5. The stay will continue.

Advertisement


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
 
 
 
Copyright © 2020 The Telegraph. All rights reserved.