Recipe: Sri Lankan prawn curry
Chefs Manula Gayan and Sajid Wimarshana from Mӧvenpick Hotel Colombo were recently at Pluck, Pullman New Delhi Aerocity for a Sri Lankan food festival. They shared a recipe with us
Sri Lankan prawn curry
- Prawn -- 400 gm (around 30-40 pieces)
- Onion -- 1
- Garlic -- 5 gm
- Curry leaves -- 5 gm
- Lime juice -- 5 ml
- Coconut milk powder -- 10 gm (add hot water to make coconut milk)
- Green chilli -- 10 gm
- Roasted curry powder -- 10 gm
- Tomatoes -- 20 gm
- Chilli powder -- 1 tsp
- Cumin -- 3 gm
- Salt to taste
- Pepper -- 5 gm
- Turmeric powder -- 2 gm
- Vegetable oil -- 20 ml
- Clean the prawns by removing the heads. Sprinkle salt and curry powder over the prawns and keep it aside to marinate.
- Add garlic, green chilli, onion and a cup of water to the blender and blend well
- Add roasted curry powder, chilli powder, turmeric, salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Put the curry mixture in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add oil. Once it is hot add the curry leaves and the prawns. Saute well for a few minutes.
- Add the curry mixture to the prawns along with a cup of coconut milk.
- Add lime juice and salt. Cook for a few minutes until prawns are well cooked.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pan with a lid. Let the prawns simmer in the gravy for a few minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice.