An elderly woman who suffered burns while cooking at her daughter’s home in Radha Madhab Dutta Garden Lane, in the Beleghata area, on Sunday evening died on Monday. Police suspect a leak in an LPG cylinder triggered the fire.
The woman’s daughter and son-in-law got injured while trying to save her.
The police said Chaya Nag, 74, was admitted to the NRS hospital with severe burns on Sunday. She passed away on Monday afternoon.
“The woman’s daughter Alpana Haldar, 55, who was in the kitchen, got injured while trying to save her. The victim’s son-in-law Tarak Nath Haldar suffered burns while trying to save the two women,” an officer of Beleghata police station said.
“Till now there is no hint of foul play. The exact location where the cylinder leaked is yet to be ascertained,” the officer said.
Forensic department officials will collect samples from the spot to ascertain the location and cause of the fire. The findings of a preliminary investigation suggest a leak in the LPG cylinder that the family was using caused the fire.
Forensic officials said consumers should periodically change the gas pipeline and keep a tab on its condition. “It is very important to have proper ventilation in the kitchen to prevent accidents even if there is a leakage. But in most flats windows are kept closed in winter. The gas gets trapped, causing sudden flames the moment it comes in contact with any spark or source of ignition,” said an official.