SSKM prop-up for Bangur institute

Read more below

  • Published 29.05.11

Calcutta, May 28: The Bangur Institute of Neurosciences (BIN) will get the use of an emergency ward and an operation theatre of the adjoining SSKM hospital, it was decided today.

BIN will share an MRI and a CT Scan machine that SSKM will install in the next three-four months. The MRI machine at BIN is “old and slow”. The decisions were taken in a meeting attended by director of medical education S.N. Banerjee, health department officials, BIN officiating director Pradip Mitra and doctors and officials of the institute.

Two days ago, chief minister Mamata Banerjee had visited BIN and expressed anguish at the hospital’s condition. She had suspended institute director Shyamapada Ghorai for “insubordination and non-cooperation”.

Mitra, the director of the Institute of Postgraduate Medicine and Research-SSKM, has taken charge of BIN.

Health department officials said BIN would use the facilities and infrastructure available at SSKM because of “lack of space” at the institute.

BIN, which treats critical patients suffering from neurological disorders, does not have an emergency ward and patients can be admitted only through the out-patients’ department. The OPD closes at 4pm and so, no admissions are now allowed after that.

“The new emergency ward at SSKM’s emergency building will now be used by BIN. Neurological emergency patients admitted to BIN will be treated by doctors of this institute in that ward,” Mitra said.

BIN will use one of the two operation theatres at SSKM. “The bigger OT has two tables for general and orthopaedic surgeries. But the smaller OT will now be dedicated to neurosurgery only. BIN patients will be operated upon there,” Mitra said.

He said the CT Scan and MRI machines that would be installed at SSKM would also be used by BIN. “The MRI machine at BIN is old and slow. We are planning to upgrade it. We are also exploring the possibility of conducting MRIs in two shifts instead of one,” Mitra said.

During her surprise visit to BIN on Thursday, patients had complained to Mamata that they had to sometimes wait for even three to four months for an MRI.

The chief minister had expressed anger at the inadequate infrastructure at BIN and the long waits that patients were often subjected to.

Kamdeb Bhattacharya and Abdul Rauf Mollah, the two patients who could not be operated upon yesterday because of Ghorai’s suspension, underwent surgery today. Both had brain tumour.

Bhattacharya, who owns a medicine shop in Burdwan, was “operated upon around 11.30 this morning and he is now in the ICU”, a relative said. Mollah, a farmer from North 24-Parganas, had been told earlier that his surgery would be done on Tuesday. “However, the hospital authorities informed us last evening that the operation would be done this morning,” said Samsul Khan, a relative of Mollah.

Crowd halts Didi trip

Mamata today turned back from the gate of RG Kar Hospital after seeing a huge crowd of supporters gathered there. The chief minister said she cancelled her visit as she feared an “untoward incident”.

Mamata had announced yesterday that she would visit RG Kar, whose cardiology ward got 30 beds and a heart-valve bank today. By the time she arrived at the hospital at 12.35pm, around 3,000 people had gathered. As the crowd closed in on her car, the police formed a ring around it.

Eki? Eto lok keno? (What’s this? Why are so many people here?)” Mamata asked Shantanu Sinha Biswas, the in-charge of Shyampukur police station who was on duty at the main gate. When Biswas suggested that the police would close the main gate once her car entered the hospital, Mamata thought for some time before deciding to turn back.

“I think it will be too risky. An untoward incident can happen. I’m leaving. Please inform the hospital superintendent,” she told Biswas.

Gouranga Mondal, whose daughter is being treated at RG Kar, said: “The hospital compound looked cleaner today. Bleaching powder had been spread. The hospital staff had been working since 7.30am today. All the doctors arrived by 9.30am.”