regular-article-logo Wednesday, 07 June 2023

Indonesia stadium stampede: Death toll revised down to 125

Data cross-checked from 10 hospitals in the area shows exact number

Reuters Jakarta Published 02.10.22, 05:05 PM
Crowds run for safety in the stadium

Crowds run for safety in the stadium Twitter/@BreAidan

The death toll from a stampede at a soccer stadium in Indonesia's East Java province has been revised down to 125, a government official said on Sunday.

East Java Deputy governor Emil Dardak said the data cross-checked from 10 hospitals in the area showed there were 125 fatalities. Earlier officials had put the figure as high as 174.


The number of injuries stands at 323, a police official said on Sunday which is up from an earlier count of 180. Authorities have also confirmed a total 125 fatalities.

Earlier, Indonesian authorities had said at least 174 people, including two police officers, died after violence broke out following a football match in the East Java province.

East Java police chief Nico Afinta said 34 people died in the stadium, and the rest died either on their way to the hospital or at the hospital where they were being treated.

More than 300 people were taken to nearby hospitals for treatment after the unrest Saturday night that police characterized as "riots."

Afinta said he expected the number of deaths to rise since the condition of some people being treated at hospitals was deteriorating.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo ordered authorities to thoroughly reevaluate security at football games and said the incident ought to be the "last soccer tragedy in the nation."

Clashes broke out after angry fans stormed onto the football field after the host team, Arema FC, was defeated in the game Saturday night.

Arema FC lost 3-2 to Persebaya Surabaya, the first loss to their bitter rival in more than two decades.

Both are teams from the East Java province, and the game took place at the Kanjuruhan stadium in the Malang district.

Afinta said police responded to the violence by firing rounds of tear gas into the stands after two police officers were killed.

People panicked and hundreds tried to run out of an exit gate at that time, leading to chaos.

Follow us on: