Fishermen unfasten a fishing net. Picture by Ashwinee Pati
Bhubaneswar, Sept. 1: The state's traditional fishermen have decided to intensify the movement to assert their right over the sea after facing regular threats to their livelihood stemming from the government's periodical fishing bans.
The government imposes a routine ban on fishing every April and May during the breeding season of fish. Fishermen in Ganjam, Jagatsinghpur and Kendrapara districts are also not allowed to cast their nets within 20km of the shoreline between November and May as a precautionary measure to ensure safe breeding and nesting of the endangered olive ridley turtles. The same objective is cited to ban fishing activities to completely ban fishing in the Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary in Kendrapara district.
'The prohibition on fishing stretches for several months and leaves thousands of fishermen without means of survival. This cannot be tolerated as fishermen have a right over the sea,' said K. Alaya, general secretary of the Odisha Traditional Fish Workers' Union.
The union is gearing up for a major show of strength by fishermen from across the country in Delhi in November.
'Fishermen from around the country will meet in Delhi from November 15 to 21 to discuss their demands. These include stricter implementation of regulations of the Coast Regulation Zone and land pattas (records) for community members who do not own a house,' said Alaya.
He alleged that there were gross violations of the coast regulation zone rule about not allowing constructions within 500m of the high-tide line along the shore at several places in Odisha, especially Puri. 'This has to be checked and strictly monitored,' he said.
However, the biggest concern for the state's fishermen remains the government's frequent fishing bans. Though the government provides Rs 5,000 each to families affected by the restrictions, community leaders do not consider this sum to be enough. Earlier, the Odisha Matysyajivi Forum president Narayan Haldar had described the compensation as too little and also coming too late.
J.B. Das, additional director of the fisheries department, said since last year the government had been setting aside Rs 1 crore to compensate fishing families hit by the ban. 'They get Rs 5,000 each. At the moment that is all that is being offered,' he said.





