On this day, Calcutta Municipal Corporation had granted permission to start work on Don Bosco School, Park Circus, one of the most reputable schools in Calcutta.
Land had been bought at 73, Tiljala Road in Park Circus and at 23, Darga Road, an adjacent plot, for the school, which is administered by the Salesians of Don Bosco, a congregation of men of the Catholic Church founded in 1869 by Saint John Bosco, or Don Bosco, as he came to be known. It was aimed at helping poor youth.
Saint John Bosco was a Roman Catholic priest who was born near Turin in Italy in the early 19th century. The congregation has a worldwide network and has established many churches and schools in different countries.
Don Bosco School, Park Circus, opened in Calcutta with about 460 boys on January 15, 1958. It is a Christian minority institution for boys, but admits students from other communities.