On this day a detailed report on the dissolution of the Calcutta and South-eastern Railway Company was published in The London Gazette.
The company had entered into an agreement with the secretary of state for India in 1859 to construct an approximately 45km line from Calcutta to Port Canning, which was completed by 1862.
Till 1868, the company ran the line, after which it was sold to the Indian government.
Following this the government leased the management of the line to the Eastern Bengal Railway.
A notice was published in The London Gazette on March 8, 1870, detailing the process of the company’s dissolution.