On December 26, 1925, a Communist conference organised in Kanpur would have far-reaching impact on India, and also Bengal and this city.
The conference adopted the name “Communist Party of India (CPI)”. An estimated 500 people participated in the conference at a time all Communist activities were banned by the British. Groups such as Labour Kisan Party of Hindustan merged into the CPI.
After the 1926 conference of the Workers and Peasants Party of Bengal, the underground CPI directed its members to join the Workers and Peasants Party branches. All open Communist activities were carried out through Workers and Peasants Party.
The party would reorganise itself in 1933, which was followed by strict regulations by the British government to keep it banned. It was only allowed legitimacy in 1942.
In 1964, the CPI would split into two parties: the CPI and the CPI(M), the Communist Party of India (Marxist).