The Calcutta airport authorities on Friday completed a probe into the fire that broke out at the check-in portal D on Wednesday night.
Airport sources said a short circuit had caused the fire, which forced the evacuation of passengers and employees of the airport and airlines and delayed the departure of many flights.
“The report will be sent to the Airports Authority of India headquarters in Delhi,” said an airport official.
Officials said the fire had started in a small utility room adjacent to the check-in portal D used by airlines to store boarding cards, baggage tags and other items. SpiceJet and Vistara use the portal.
“There is no proof of sabotage. It is for the AAI officials in Delhi to take action on the basis of the report,” said the official. “We are also conducting safety audits of all other counters and facilities at the airport following the fire.”
The D portal was still closed and barricaded on Friday.
“The portal might become operational again on Saturday,” said an official. “SpiceJet and Vistara check-ins are taking place at portal A.”
The fire broke out at 9.12 pm and was doused at 9.40 pm. Thick black smoke had covered large portions of the terminal building’s departure area.
Eight fire tenders had to be pressed into service to douse the flames.
The departure of many flights were delayed on Wednesday night because check-in could not resume before 10.30 pm.
Passengers of the flights that had arrived were not allowed to get off the aircraft till the commotion in the terminal subsided.