Go back to
Home » My Kolkata » News » Judicial remand extended for Partha Chatterjee and Arpita Mukherjee

School Service Commission Scam

Judicial remand extended for Partha Chatterjee and Arpita Mukherjee

For the time being, please grant me bail, pleads former education minister

Our Special Correspondent | Published 29.09.22, 06:10 AM
Partha Chatterjee and Arpita Mukherjee

Partha Chatterjee and Arpita Mukherjee

File Picture

The judicial remand of former minister Partha Chatterjee and Arpita Mukherjee, both accused in a money laundering case, were extended till October 31 on Wednesday.

Chatterjee’s lawyer moved a bail petition on Wednesday at the city sessions court, saying there was no need to keep him in custody anymore as the Enforcement Directorate had submitted its chargesheet in the case. “He is no longer a minister and has been suspended from the party (Trinamul). Hence, we are seeking his bail,” Chatterjee’s lawyer said on Wednesday.


The lawyer for the agency opposed the bail prayer. “Chatterjee broke down (during the last hearing) but what about the pain of those job aspirants who are still sitting near the Gandhi statue (on the Maidan) with teary eyes?” he said.

The lawyer said the agency had found details of two more companies where Chatterjee’s son-in-law and maternal uncle are directors. “There is a trust in the name of his daughter, in whose name an 18-cottah property was purchased at Patuli. His son-in-law is a trustee,” the lawyer said.

Chatterjee, who was produced in the court virtually, submitted: “Already 60-65 days have passed. I have been cooperating with the agency. I require medical attention. I have been unnecessarily kept in detention.”

The magistrate asked if he was being provided with proper medical assistance. Chatterjee said there was lack of infrastructure. “Whatever punishment you want to give, please give that after conviction. For the time being, please grant me bail,” Chatterjee pleaded.

Mukherjee told the court during her virtual submission that her mother was 75. “I had applied for permission to use phone to call my mother. The prayer was turned down,” she said. The magistrate, after hearing both sides, said this was “an exceptional case” and extended their judicial remand.

The Women’s Correctional Home in Alipore was told to make arrangements to facilitate telephone calls between Mukherjee and her mother.

Last updated on 29.09.22, 06:10 AM

More from My Kolkata