A 23-year-old student of Jadavpur University died of dengue on Monday after battling the disease for over a week since he was admitted to Belle Vue Clinic.
Hospital officials said Ohidur Rahaman died around 3.05pm. His death certificate stated “dengue hemorrhagic fever” and “dengue shock syndrome” as cause of death along with septic shock and multi-organ failure.
“The patient was admitted to the hospital on September 3. He was admitted to the critical care unit with several complications, including acute pancreatitis and kidney injury. He died on Monday,” said a senior hospital official.
A resident of Ramna Sekhdighi in Sagardighi subdivision of Murshidabad district, Ohidur was pursuing his MTech in illumination technology and design, said JU officials.
He stayed in rented accommodation in an area close to the university.
On August 31, Ohidur was admitted to KPC Medical College and Hospital after he complained of acute body ache and a high fever, his friends told JU officials. When Ohidur’s condition deteriorated, his friends first shifted him to a nursing home and later to Belle Vue.
“We were arranging funds for Ohidur’s treatment,” said JU registrar Snehamanju Basu. “We had spoken to the vice-chancellor so there was no constraint of funds for his treatment. Unfortunately, he passed away,” she said.
Ohidur’s death comes within 48 hours of a 16-year-old girl from Dum Dum Motijheel dying of dengue on Saturday.
Dengue has been on the rise with a number of deaths in Calcutta and its neighbouring areas. The government has not released the official toll.
An official of the Calcutta Municipal Corporation said about 1,900 people have been infected with dengue in the Calcutta municipal area this year.
“What do we do? Do we send notices to a responsible vice-chancellor? We have visited the university campus before. No effort is made to clear garbage on the campus. We will be revisiting the university to spread awareness about dengue again,” mayor Firhad Hakim told reporters on Monday.
JU students said several pockets on campus remained littered with garbage and pools of water.
Later on Monday, registrar Basu issued a circular to all JU departments and units saying “accumulation of stagnant water without cleaning” is not allowed on the campus, including in hostels and quarters.
The circular was issued following a notice from CMC’s vector control department.