Centre agrees to a CBI probe into Sushant Singh Rajput's death
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the Supreme Court on Sunday that the Centre had accepted the Nitish Kumar government’s recommendation of a CBI inquiry into the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput.
A bench of Justice Hrishikesh Roy, that was hearing the case filed by Sushant's father, observed that the truth behind Rajput's death should come out. "Truth should come out so far as the actor's death is concerned," the judge said.
The 34 year-old actor was found hanging from the ceiling at his Bandra residence on June 14, and subsequently, a case of unnatural death was lodged by Mumbai police.
The investigation was handed over to the central agency after a territorial battle broke out between the Mumbai police and its Bihar counterpart. A team from Bihar, led by Patna SP Vinay Tiwari, had reached Mumbai on Monday. The team claimed that they were "forcibly quarantined" and prevented from carrying out the probe.
The apex court also heard a petition filed by model-actress Rhea Chakraborty who was in a relationship with the deceased actor. The court has directed Maharashtra, Bihar and Rajput's father K.K. Singh to file their replies.
Rhea had sought a transfer to Mumbai the FIR lodged by Rajput's father in Patna who had accused her of abetting his suicide. The septuagenarian had also accused her of financial misappropriation.
The ruling Janata Dal (United) in Bihar on Wednesday hailed the Centre's nod to the Nitish Kumar government's recommendation for a CBI inquiry into Sushant Singh Rajput's death, saying it will ensure justice to the deceased actor and expose the dark underbelly of Bollywood.