regular-article-logo Wednesday, 17 July 2024

Bihar police make second arrest in connection with Muzaffarpur telemarketing 'job rape' case

Police had arrested Tilak Kumar Singh from Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday, he is one of the nine accused in the FIR registered by one of the survivors

Dev Raj Patna Published 20.06.24, 05:26 AM
Representational image

Representational image File picture

Bihar police arrested one more person on Wednesday in connection with the Muzaffarpur telemarketing job case in which several women were allegedly held captive, tortured and raped.

“The arrested person is Ajay Prasad, a resident of Balia in Uttar Pradesh. He was not named in the FIR registered by a survivor in the case, but we identified him from a video related to it. He is seen beating a girl in it. We are in the process of sending him to jail,” Muzaffarpur city superintendent of police (SP) Avadhesh Dixit told The Telegraph.


The police had arrested Tilak Kumar Singh from Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday. He is one of the nine accused in the FIR registered by one of the survivors.

Asked about further action by the police in the case, Dixit said that the special investigation team (SIT) was trying to get in touch with other girls who worked with the DBR Unique telemarketing and networking company.

“Apart from the girl who registered the FIR, no other girl or woman has come forward in the case despite our appeal to them through the media. So, we have traced a few girls and are in touch with around half a dozen of them. We are requesting them to give their statements to us,” Dixit added.

The Muzaffarpur city SP added that their statements would help the police ascertain whether there were a large number of victims or a few.

The police recorded the statement of the survivor, who brought the case to light, before a judicial magistrate under Section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC). She has also been sent for medical examination, which is mandatory in cases of sexual assault.

A team of the CPI-ML, including MLC Shashi Yadav and MLA Sandeep Saurabh, went to Muzaffarpur and submitted its findings on the case on Wednesday. It demanded a high-level probe.

“The role of the local Ahiyapur police station in Muzaffarpur has been shameful. It had refused to register the FIR of the survivor in the beginning when she went there. Prima facie, the matter could not have continued for such a long time without government and administrative patronage. Only a high-level inquiry can unearth everything. Immediate action should be taken against the accused and the victims should be provided protection,” the CPI-ML said.

Sources in the police said that the telemarketing and networking company seemed to have indulged in fraudulent calls to dupe people and the investigation was being conducted to unravel this aspect.

Follow us on: