Survival Strategies

Suhel Seth has an unconventional take on personal problems — and their solutions

  • Published 28.02.16

I am a girl of 17 and in a relationship with a guy for the last four months. But I have feelings for my best friend as well. And he loves me too. I can’t leave either of them. What should I do? Please help.

Name and address withheld

Hang out with both. You don’t seem too much of a loyalist in any case. So do what the rest of the world does: cheat and be happy. For people like you, the problem is one of plenty, so enjoy it while it lasts because it ain’t going to last very, very long I can assure you. And at just 17, you’ve done pretty well for yourself. I am looking forward to reading about you in one of our fine national newspapers very, very soon.

I am in a relationship with a girl for the last six months. Recently the girl’s brother came to know about us and he’s trying to force us to marry although we don’t want to get married right now. I think I should break this relationship, but my girlfriend’s brother is warning me not to. I want to get out of this peacefully. How do I go about it?

Name and address withheld

Who’s the brother? Pappu Yadav or Dawood Ibrahim? If neither of these rogues is her brother, tell him to go to hell, or, perhaps, join the Communists. Do what pleases you the most and don’t bother me with inanities. I have a country to run.

Now you can join the fan page
Suhel Seth’s Survival Strategies Column
on Facebook and also tweet your
comments/ questions to him
(@suhelseth) on Twitter 







For families and friends of alcoholics
Ph : 84207-38682 
(2pm to 6pm, Mondays-Saturdays)

For free help on alcoholism
10A Nandan Road, Calcutta 700025
Ph: 2419-1174, 98310-63021
(2pm to 6pm, Mondays-Saturdays)

For the elderly for social, legal, economical,
financial counselling and also access to
government schemes and policies
Free helpline: 1-800-345-1253

For lifestyle management counselling
139B Rash Behari Avenue,
Calcutta 700025
Ph: 98301-49919
(Noon to 8pm, by appointment only)

Free helpline for the depressed or suicidal
Ph: 2463-7401 / 7432
(10am to 6pm, Mondays-Saturdays)

Self-help group for recovering addicts
Kolkata area helpline: 98362-23071 

Senior citizen’s emergency co-ordination control room
38/1 Beltala Road, Calcutta 700019
Ph: 2419-0740

Free tele-counselling and one-on-one
counselling on personal relationships and HIV/ AIDS 
AE-36 Rabindra Pally, P.O.: Prafulla Kanan, Calcutta 700101
Ph: 2591-0334 / 3852 / 6529 / 9856
(10am to 6pm, Mondays-Fridays)