Get yourself Instagram-ready on D-day with this one-month workout
- Published 21.12.18, 10:01 PM
- Updated 21.12.18, 10:01 PM
- 3 mins read
Deepika, Ranveer. Priyanka, Nick. Isha. And now Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap too.
We are not talking about Sabyasachi. We are talking about a Sabyasachi-ready body on your wedding-day.
A Calcutta-based fitness studio promises relevant advice. Prosenjit Biswas, fitness manager, SKULPT, has come up with a 30-day fitness regimen, a special pre-wedding workout routine that will make you picture perfect — for Instagram, and the wedding album. Says Divya Himatsingka, director, SKULPT: “Healthy eating and a regular gym workout are essential during this time. Wedding rituals and ceremonies can be physically draining, so the pre-wedding workout routine maintains fitness levels and keeps you refreshed.”
Biswas says that most of the workout for the bride can be done at home, but the groom is advised to go to a gym.
For the bride:
The workout for the bride is designed to make her look toned and slender.
Duration: Five to six days every week for four weeks.
Start with a few dynamic stretches, which help increase the synovial fluid (jelly-like substance between the joints that acts as a shock-absorber) and prepare the body for the workout. Stretching is the best way to deal with D.O.M.S (Delay Onset Muscle Soreness). It prevents muscle pain and
keeps the body flexible.
Start with 20-30 minutes of cardio followed by basic abdominal exercises. Following that, go for basic strength training exercises using body weight as resistance, such as:
- Squats/ Split Squats
- Push-ups/ Modified
- Inverted Row /Pull Down
- Tricep Dips
Note: Peform two sets of each with 10-12 repetitions. Pause for 45 seconds — 1 minute between sets. Alternate between strength training one day and cardio workout the next day.
Add weights to the routine and increase the cardio workout to 30-40 minutes. Exercises:
- Goblet Squats
- Alternate Lunge
- Dumbbell Chest Press
- Seated Row
- Dumbbell Alternate
- Curl + Tricep Press Down
- Plank and Side Plank
Note: Perform three sets of each with 12-15 repetitions. Pause for 45 secs — 1 minute between sets.
Alternate between strength training one day and cardio workout the next.
Weeks 3 & 4:
In the last two weeks, women can do Circuit Training (targeting different body parts with seven-eight movements back-to-back)
- Leg Press + Dumbbell
Shoulder Press + Alternate Lunge + Bent-over Dumbbell Row +Swiss-ball Hip Extension + Push-ups + Step-up + Alternate Dumbbell Curl + Calf Raises + Dumbbell Overhead Extension + Russian Twist
Note: Perform three–four circuits of each with 15-20 repetitions. Pause for1 minute between sets.
For the groom:
For grooms, it is important to look lean. Biswas points out the regimen differs from that for the brides in intensity and postures.
Duration: Five to six days every week for four weeks. Start with dynamic stretches and prepare the body for the workout.
Start with 10-15 minutes cardio training. Grooms can do some basic strength training exercises using body weight as resistance, such as:
- Basic Squats / Push Ups / Inverted Row
- Swiss Ball Hip Extensions
- Tricep Dips
Note: Perform four sets of each with 10 repetitions. Pause for 45 seconds between sets. Alternate between strength training one day and cardio workout the next.
Add weights to the routine and increase the intensity of the workout:
- Split Squats / Alternate Lunges
- Dumbbell Chest Press
- Lat Pull Down
- Leg Curl
- Plank to Arm Reach / Crunches
- Bicep Curl / Tricep Press Down
Note: Peform four sets of each with 12-15 repetitions. Pause for 45 seconds between sets. Alternate between strength training one day and cardio workout the next.
Proceed to more advance training with Supersets Workout. This type of routine targets two body parts back-to-back. It combines fat-burning exercises with muscle-toning movements.
- Walking Lunge + Dumbbell Clean & Press
- Inclined Dumbbell Press + Bent over Barbell Row
- Barbell Hip Thrust + High Pull
- Inclined Dumbbell Curl + Lying Tricep Extension
- Spider Plank + Horizontal
Note: Perform three sets of each with 15 repetitions. Pause for 45 seconds between sets. Alternate between strength training one day and cardio workout the next.
In the last week of the routine, go for Circuit Training:
- Barbell Thruster + Dumbbell Renegade Row + Kettlebell
Swing + Burpees + Inverted Row + Deadlift + Push Plank + 500 meters of Rowing
Note: Perform three to four circuits of each with 15-20 repetitions. Pause for 1 minute between sets.
Diet tips for him and her:
- Eat clean. Avoid fried food, food with high sugar levels or processed food, especially with flour.
- Ban extra salt, as it causes higher levels of water retention. Also white sugar, as it is high on calories and cuts out the nutritional value of food.
- Eat more fresh vegetables and fruits as they are high on vitamins and fibres, which accelerates detoxification.
- Focus more on protein, complex carbs and good fat.
- Protein is the building block for muscles and develops lean mass. To change body composition (like losing inches/ reducing fat mass and increasing lean mass), protein is essential. Protein intake needs to be increased to support the intensive workout on the floor.
- Complex carbs such as whole grains like brown rice, oats, whole wheat bread work as storage. When the body needs energy, it breaks down slowly and keeps the energy levels high.
- Good fats such as nuts or Omega 3 improve the internal functioning of the body. Good news: have dark chocolate. It has good fat.
But don’t eat too much!
- Consume lot of water through the day as water normally is high on anti-oxidants which increases metabolic rate and allows flushing out of the body toxins. Hence, one cup of water (200ml) every 30-60 min is suggested.
It will give you the pre-wedding glow.