Earthquake: Erdogan admits response problems
President Tayyip Erdogan acknowledged on Wednesday some problems with Turkey’s initial response to the earthquake that rocked the south but said normal operations have resumed, adding that the death toll in the country rose to 8,574.
Erdogan made his first visit to the devastated region since Monday, when two massive quakes hit within hours, just as confirmed deaths in Turkey and Syria shot beyond 11,000.
Speaking to reporters in the Kahramanmaras province near the epicentre, with constant ambulance sirens in the background, Erdogan said there had been problems with roads and airports but that everything would get better by the day.
“On the first day we experienced some issues but then on the second day and today the situation is under control,” he said.
Many residents have since complained about insufficient resources and slow emergency response.
“We had some problems in airports and roads but we are better today. We will be better tomorrow and later. We still have some issues with fuel...but we will overcome those too,” Erdogan said.