The Suvendu Adhikari government has directed the Trinamool Congress-run Siliguri Municipal Corporation (SMC) — the largest civic body in north Bengal — to take strict action against unauthorised constructions in the city.
A couple of days ago, the civic authorities received a notice from the urban development and municipal affairs (UDMA) department, instructing the SMC to identify and remove structures built without approved building plans.
“We have received a notice from the UDMA department to check out the unauthorised constructions developed without sanctioned building plans in the SMC area,” mayor Gautam Deb said on Friday.
Sources at the SMC said the rapid rise in illegal constructions in different parts of Siliguri had become a major concern, prompting the BJP government to intervene. Following the directive, the SMC has formed a 13-member engineering team to inspect unauthorised constructions in all 47 wards.
In addition, technical teams operating out of the five borough offices of the SMC have been asked to submit detailed reports to the civic body's main administrative office for further action.
“The technical team members will visit every ward to identify illegal structures. A detailed report will be prepared and sent to the UDMA department every fortnight,” the mayor said.
According to civic officials, SMC conducts periodic drives against unauthorised constructions.
“Wherever violations were detected, demolition and corrective actions were carried out in the presence of law enforcement authorities,” said a source.
On Friday, the civic authorities demolished a portion of a two-storey building that had been constructed in violation of the sanctioned building plan in Champasari, Ward 46.
“We have been carrying out regular drives against unauthorised structures, and they will continue,” Deb said.




